Re: [Inkscape-devel] Joining GNOME Office

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:21:25 -0500
> From: Dom Lachowicz <cinamod hotmail com>
> To: charlie xwt org, bryce osdl org
> Cc: inkscape-devel lists sourceforge net, gnome-office-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Inkscape-devel] Joining GNOME Office
>
> > > First, we have historically striven to avoid adding dependencies that
> > > are not common on a wide range of platforms.  Of course, this means that

> GnomeOffice apps should be designed with portability in mind. We best serve
> our user base by being flexible and nible. It is also important that we do

> Inkscape works well on Win32 already. My only gripe is that the 0.37 release
> ships its own Glib and GTK instead of using the "system" ones. It annoys me

this was purely a decision by Bob Jameson to make things easier for
testers.
previous builds were seperate but there were more difficult to get going
and I'm sure in due course he will switch back (or possibly even provide
both, because I cannot get GTK to install properly on the f---ing 'locked
down' windows machines in University).

> that I and others have put so much time into getting GTK+ working and
> theming pixel-perfectly (GtkWimp) on Win32 and then have apps deploy their

I'm using GtkWimp with inkscape 0.37 on windows 98 and getting a shedload
of font errors I really need to report ... (I'll get around to it sometime
this week I hope).

> own copies of same. I understand that there are real problems that you guys
> are trying to conquer by doing so, but I contend that there are better
> alternatives.

I'm sure Bob will sort it out, he already has cross compiled builds going
and I'm well impressed.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
Inkscape Tester ;)