Re: [Inkscape-devel] Joining GNOME Office

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 21:37 +0000, Charles Goodwin wrote:

> > First, we have historically striven to avoid adding dependencies that
> > are not common on a wide range of platforms.  Of course, this means that
> > we often cannot make use of the latest and greatest enhancements
> > available, but on the other hand it makes life much easier for our
> > users.  What is the GNOME Office's stance on the issues of dependencies
> > and portability?
>
> Dependencies will be limited to goffice libraries like libgda and
> libgoffice, which afaik are developed with portability in mind.
>
> AbiWord is already well-ported to Windows, MacOS, QNX, and even BeOS.
>
> Gnumeric will become portable in it's next version; I recently read an
> update from Jody where he outlined the last remaining GNOME-specific
> dependencies.
>
> I'm not sure of the Gnome-DB portability status.

libgda has been compiling on windows for years. Not sure if it works or
not, since I have never tried, but it shouldn't be any problem in making
it work on windows. On MacOS X, since it's unix, it should just work.

libgnomedb is the sdame case, we have even stuff for making it compile
only the GTK-only parts, thus not having all the GNOME-dependant bits.
That GTK-only part should also work on windows with no problems.

> > Do you have a listing of the currently available reusable components
> > from these other projects, that we could review?
>
> libgda, libgnomedb: www.gnome-db.org
> libgsf: http://www.advogato.org/proj/libgsf/
> libgoffice: currently part of Gnumeric afaik

there is also some libgoffice code in the gnome-office module, in GNOME
CVS.

cheers