Re: website contender (beta)

On 02/07/04 21:03:59, Charles Goodwin wrote:

So I don't think we should be pushing GDB in front of them, that's one
way to confuse and intimidate end users.  ("What is this and why do I
have to install it?  Shouldn't Office Software be simple?" etc etc)

Yes, I concur; it would be a better candidate for the Specialty Apps I mentioned before (whatever I called it).

For now.

Databases are becoming more and more integrated into the user experience. Collections are using them in some way for images, contacts, music, bookmarks and so much more that in the future, many of the very-end-end-user types will probably expect to have a generic database handler. The exception, of course, are those user who are actually short of total novices who have only just mastered click-and- point.

Now would also be a good time to define (as in outline the generic points of) the core GNOME Office applications. Embeddability (coming eventually), no dataloss in exchange, similar XP/XAP functionality (long term) and so forth. Lots of potential code sharing in the future. Definitions are a good way to get an idea of how to sort the content seperate from the front page.

Thoughts free available, one newsletter at a time.

-Eric