Re: gsf api thoughts

Hi Jody,

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 14:29, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> > +               for (; ptr < end ; ptr = g_utf8_next_char (ptr))

	This is pretty much an abomination;

> I'd like the gets methods to offer a guarantee that the content
> coming back is valid.

	Then do this at the end:

	if (!g_utf8_validate (str, end-str, NULL))
		... foo not valid ...

	Iterating over utf8 chars like that is grim. For anyone not
understanding why, the man page 'man utf-8' is extremely instructive.

	Having said all that, I think there is great in having a 'get_utf8' and
a 'get_mess' distinction; that is if it's not going to be possible to
detect / convert to utf-8 cleanly at the bottom of the pile.

>  Admitedly there is a potential to merge the
> various gets methods into one, and set an 'encoding' flag on the
> stream.  I have no strong preferences.

	If you're passing an encoding; it'd be better to always return utf-8
and the encoding be what is used to convert from 'random 8bit' to clean
utf-8.

	Then again, perhaps I'm smoking crack,

	Regards,

		Michael.