Common file filters. (Was Re: Gnome Office summary from the Gnome Summit.)

On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 18:15, Caoln McNamara wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 10:57:42AM +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-07-25 at 02:57, Martin Sevior wrote:
> > Bill Haneman wrote:
> > ---------------------
> > Though I am very supportive of gnumeric and abiword, and should say up
> > front that I was, regrettably, unable to attend the GNOME-Office talk
> > due to a schedule conflict, I am a bit sorry to see almost no mention
of
> > OpenOffice.org in these minutes.
> >
> > Hi Bill,
> > 	The AbiWord project is supportive of OO too. We even donated our
> > cross platform spell checking code to OO.

> > OO.o is at the moment the biggest single free-software office suite
> > available, and arguably the most complete; as such it is very relevant
> > to the goal of a "top notch office productivity package" integrated in
> > to the GNOME desktop.
> >
> > OO is certainly the most complete and has awesome MS filters. The
> > AbiWord team may well steal some of the OO filter code when the
> > time comes.
>
> Personally I'm very interested in getting the writer filters, and
obviously the
> word filter, refactored to not have such tight coupling to writer. As it
> currently stands it is very tightly bound to writer and would need quite
a bit
> of work to make it usable seperately by other projects, but I reckon it
would
> be quite nice it could be.

This would be just fantastic Caolan.

If a way can be found to produce a lGPL'd library to import/export
different file formats without being strongly bound to any particular
project (especially MS Word and RTF) we could all (including KDE and other
commercial projects) cooperate and produce excellent filters.

We'd be very happy to cooperate on this.

Cheers,

Martin