GNOME Office, RC1

Hello,

  I've been talking with Kenneth, and so I'm opening this thread since
he's having some hardware problems.
  We think that GNOME Office should have a Release Candidate 1 out asap.

Picking from Jody's list:

Definite Apps
 * Abiword    - Just about 1.0 absolute must
 * Gnumeric   - 1.0 absolute must
 * MrProject  - ToutDoux's website says that it's development is
                on hold for a year.  Until Sept 2002 ?  MrProject
                has made clear request to be included and would like
                to share code.  This choice seems very clear.  Speak
                now or hold your piece.

     The last version I checked out was at redhat rawhide.
     It's very cool, and great, but still has some problems, maybe for
     RC2? It's possible that the problem with the version I tried are
     all gone, I have to check before making a full opinion of the
     presence of this package at least in RC1. The problem is: its'
     evident it doesn't yet (remember, the version I tried) have the
     level of stability those other definitive apps have.

    Presentation Program - Spoke with Joe Shaw (Achtung Maintainer)
                he's got a gtk2 port of the current code base, but
                not much time to work on it.  We've also ssen
                mention of a Spanish team that hopes to have
                something in place within 3-4 months ?  Lets see if
                the 2 code bases can be merged.

        There is none for the present but MagicPoint which is hardly a
        gnome app (although very neat). Let's skip it.

 * DIA         - all are useful, and ideally one could form the
                  basis for the shared drawing layer.

 * GnuCash     - Uses Guppi and has previously expressed interest

 * SodiPodi

  I've moved this three apps into definitive because even though the
level of maturity on DIA and SodiPodi is not complete, they're stable
enough. My visit cards are made in sodipodi, my work network's all drawn
with dia. I'm not an example but this lead me to strongly believe
they're usefull in an office suit in workplace.
  GNUcash I've been using for my personal accountings. I still don't
have expertise in it, but I think that it's usefull for persoanl usage
in an office suite and also in a small company.

  I'd also include GIMP HOWEVER, most distributions ship a fairly recent
version of GIMP, so for the time being we can think smaller and not
include it right away.
  Maybe for GNOME Office 2.

Definite Libs
  all required for the packages that do not usually come with GNU/Linux
distributions.

Logo: maybe we should make a logo, volunteers?
ScreenShots: there's already some on the web page, put some more recent
screenshots, maybe with apps side by side.

hugs, rms

+ So let's do it...?