Re: What goes in gnome office ?

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 02:31:30AM +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:

> I read the discussion about the general escher drawing layer. I can't help
> but think it would be too much overhead for many apps. Not just in the
> sense of being big and slow but also in the sense of taking too long to
> get right. The next itteration of abiword will add lots of high level
> features that do not need anything as sophisticated as an escher drawing
> layer. I would hate to see us delayed by diverting resources to build that
> or worse being delayed while some high level feature we would never used
> is implemented.

The goal is to provide a canvas style view abstraction, and some
form of model for the objects.  Nothing thus far indicates that it
will either be slow or require vast quantities of adjustment from
the apps.  However, until we have some code I don't want to start
making magical promises.

The goal is to provide something that can just be used.  The set of
objects and their features would be developed/extended entirely in
parallel.