Re: short minute of meeting at guadec

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 06:08, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> I just wanted to stress (again) that I think the first challenge is to
> get to a point where you can share code without having to write
> low-level C/C++ as least common denominator. This means having all
> projects adopt the Abi framework or GLib or both, most likely.

Two points from the meeting that weren't clear from the minutes, perhaps
because they were a bit amorphous:

Point #1:
There seemed to be a general willingness by Abi developers to use glib
(at least for some stuff) on all platforms, mostly based on the benefits
that Jody enumerated.  (And I won't try to reproduce that list of
benefits here, I'll leave that to Jody.)

Point #2:
There was some willingness to at least look into using Gtk+ on non-Linux
platforms -- not for dialogs and other UI elements, but at the page
rendering level.  Pango was the big carrot here.

Together, I found these two developments extremely encouraging for
better integration in the future.

-JT