Re: gnome-recent, ready to rock

Miles Lane <miles megapathdsl net> writes:
> > I think putting it into GAL seems like a good idea since this is
> > something which is especially usefull for Office apps and most of our
> > office apps already link to GAL.
>
> <snip>
>
> Well, unless there is a really compelling reason to tie the gnome-recent
> stuff to GAL, it seems to me that it might be better separate.
> libgal.so hovers around 3MB over several revisions.  Some simpler
> program might not want the libgal.so overhead and yet still benefit
> from having other apps know what files it has open and vice versa.

Sure, but that's a detail that will get resolved in a later release,
as we move things from GAL to lower levels.

I talked to Jody about this for a while, I don't know if we ever
posted/advertised our opinion, but essentially we both felt that the
correct thing to do was gradually move features to lower library
layers as they mature and it seems to make sense.

In this case I think it's also possible to interoperate just by
manually reading/tweaking the GConf key, as well.

Anyway, nothing is perfect - the API freeze is done with full
knowledge many desired features did not make it in time for the
freeze.

Havoc