Re: GUADEC Results

On mercredi, avril 11, 2001, at 05:38 , Almer S. Tigelaar wrote:

Hmmm, in that case the question "what is gnome office" remains
unanswered?

OK. Actually this is my first post on the list but I plan it to make it valuable by giving my own opinion on the topic.

NOTE: licensing issues will NOT be discussed here.
NOTE2: any technical error is solely comming from me. Corrections are really welcome.

What is Gnome-Office ? This is a real good question. As I only subscribed today, I have read the whole list archive and I was dispointed to not see any answer for this question. So I'll try to provide answer, that is my own personnal opinion of what Gnome-Office should be.

Gnome-Office should be a set of software that run under GNOME (but not specifically exclusively, more on this later) to provide a complete productivity suite, aimed at business user (user in a corporate environment). See it as a software distribution like the various Linux distributions: a set program developped by different users put together in a consistent way.

What program should it have ?
-----------------------------

Basically Word processor, Spreadsheet, presentation software, personnal database, messenging, web browsing, PIM, Plotting and Diagramming.

Why corporate environment ?
---------------------------

Because the target is corporation. They are actually the people that rules the IT world by chossing Microsoft products, that is why most users take Microsoft products for home (and most often don't buy them either). People that does use the same they have at work are mostly geeks or Apple[*] fanatics.
If you bring gnome office into corporations, you win a battle.

How should it be build ?
------------------------

Component of the gnome-office suite should be quite similar to what GNOME is: a set of program and libraries that bring foundations for this programs. Some are part of GNOME already, others aren't. These components should be consistent.

Who will develop them ?
-----------------------

Good question. Volunteers or companies, depending on who commit to do the work. See the GNOME model. But it is very important that we get a central organization to provide project management. And also (paying) support services should be provided.

What do we already have ?
-------------------------

Note: I am not counting OpenOffice currently as I don't feel it yet like a GNOME application. This is a technical matter.

-Word processor: Abiword. Abiword is one of the exceptions here as it is a cross-platform product that have a GNOME front-end of good quality, but also run on BeOS, QNX, Windows and soon on MacOS (X). Curiously Abiword is a component of Abisuit whose little brother, Abicalc, has been completely eridacted from the surface of the earth.

-Spreadsheet: Gnumeric. This software is currently developped by Ximian that has already committed to bring GNOME Desktop to your computer :-)

-Presentation software: none.

-personnal database: Gnome-db.

-messenging: Evolution, also from Ximian and Balsa

-web browsing: Galeon, but it depends on Mozilla engine (aka Gecko) which is not the best GNOME solution. Given currently difficulties of implementing a web browser today, I won't blame them :-) They still do better than Mozilla itself.

-PIM or groupware client / calendering, eventually with PDA connectivity: Evolution (again), Gnome PIM (already part of Gnome), all using Pilot-link (independent package, integrated with Gnome in Gnome-pilot)

-Plotting: GUPPI seems to be the only candidate

-Diagramming: Dia is here.

And the other ?
---------------

-Gimp, Sketch, Sodipodu belong more to an "artist" suite, even if they can (and should) use Gnome-office libraries.

-GnuCash is a little bit different as it is targetted at personnal or SOHO user, not really at corporate user. It is also encouraged to use and integrate seamlessly with the rest of Gnome-Office. Not that I want to black ball it out of Gnome-Office. (actually I'm a GnuCash user too)

So what is missing ?
--------------------

A presensation software. We will see later how we can easily build one.

A import/export architecture that will allow do have common code to import foreign document within Gnome-office. Just because there are composite documents that may not be imported by a single program. I mainly think about StarOffice, AppleWorks and other integrated office suites, as well as Word document that may include Excel spreadsheets and charts, etc. Note that to succeed, the number of file format supported must be as wide as possible.

A programming language that Joe Average or a church secretary can use, and that is compatible with already established language like VBA. Gnome-Basic is aimed at this. BTW this should NOT be the only solution as not everybody (including myself) feel confortable with Basic.

Shall it run exclusively on GNOME ?

The answer is difficult. Given the name, it should run on GNOME. But I don't think If we really want Gnome-office to be successful, Gnome-office should be able to run on *as much platforms as possible*. On this point, OpenOffice is already forware because it runs on Linux x86 (soon PPC), Solaris, Win32 and MacOS X. And the crossplatform availability, mostly on Windows, is a real "selling" point. Lot of corporation have dropped non Wintel computer of users desk, and corporation that require UNIX Workstation for some purpose still have Windows requirement for Microsoft Office <grin>.

I have seen this in a company I previouosly worked: Solaris developpers had a SUN Workstation for work AND a Wintel PC for messenging (they did go within some proprietary Windows only messenging system that give the clueless level of the IT director on this matter) and office needs (they choose Word as the standard for document publication, not counting on drawbacks). I'm pretty sure that is they had a good alternative solution, they would have gone with it.

So I must say that Gnome-Office should not be tied with GNOME, and I don't think porting GNOME to non X11 platform will be the solution to everything. And Gnome-Office can help bringing Gnome to the desktop, not the opposite way. Cross-platform development should not be done as in OpenOffice, but more as in Abiword. The goal is to choose the good balance between development cost for a new platform (low on OpenOffice) and the platform integration (high on Abiword). I think that with Abiword the goal is pretty well reached even if better could be done (that is just a matter of polishing the whole framework).

How about groupware ?

Groupware is an important wizzbang feature of corporate information system. Groupware is mostly calendar and contact sharing, and e-mail. While Evolution is supposed to provide the client, I feel that we are still missing a feature complete server that will help Gnome-Office as it will help having them. Currently there are 2 commonly established server suite: MS-Exchange and Lotus Notes. The first is Windows only (even the Mac client is a piece of junk that prevent from using it completely) and the later have client on Linux and other UNIX but is still closed on every side (not mentionning the disrespect of standards protocols like for the mail). None of them use open standards. So we have no chance to be able to integrate with them. A server solution is crucial.

I hope that you were not bored by this long first post. Comments are really welcome.

Hub

[*] insert your favorite non Microsoft OS here.