Re: [guppi-list] GNOME Office and OpenOffice

I have used both AbiWord and Sun Office.

Both have problems.

The problems from Sun office are generated by the concept that the
authors of Sun Office believe that they know what has to be done better
than I do or better than industry standards so they have automated their
program to convert correct usage to incorrect. If I wanted such GOD like
programs I of course would be running MS Windows not Linux.

The problem with AbiWord is that it is still a relative young program.
This means that many of the functions or features that I would like to
have have not been created yet. Sparing the ax and given sufficient time
these will develop because it is a wonderful program that allows one to
put documents together correctly with out a GOD like know it all
attitude.

The significance here is that AbiWord can be fixed.

With Sun Office there is no power under the sun that will ever permit
the obnoxious portions of Sun Office to be deleted from the program
because once a feature is once includes then that feature will develop a
following that will scream bloody hell is you ever attempt their
favorite feature even though it is used by only 1% of the users and 90%
find it objectionable. Like wise you will never get enough option blocks
into the program to satisfies everybody or to remove the obnoxious
portions of the program.

Microsoft did precisely this same thing. They once had a good word
processor and spread sheet but they decided to automate it. Now one can
not enter a small letter say "i" into their spread sheet with out it
automatically converting it from "i" to "I". The difference is that in
economics a small "i" is widely used to represent interest rate while a
capital "I" is normally used as investment. In power electrical a small
"i" is normally used for AC or DC power while a "I" is normally a vector
quantify.

The preceding may be appear to be irrelevant to the folks that would
like Sun office to be a standard in Gnome or who think they can modify
Sun Office to be acceptable. They may make it a standard but no way are
they going to make the obnoxious of Microsoft acceptable. No way is the
symbolism of a small "i" going to become the same of a capital "I" in
scientific circles. Not with the shortage of symbols need to express
what needs to be expressed.

Frank