Re: Bonobo - storage formats ...

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Sam TH wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 07:26:22PM -0500, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Daniel,

> > >         This really should not be an issue addressed at the AbiWord
> > > level; this is something to be addressed by the OpenOffice / Bonob guys
> > > who write bonobo storage / stream backends. This can be done totaly
> > > transparently.
> > >
> > >         All AbiWord should do is implement Bonobo/PersistStream, and tell
> > > the world that it supports an XML content type ( and probably an
> > > application/x-word ). Then everything can be done by a Bonobo plug-in
> > > storage module to turn it into a flat xml document ( or whatever ), zip
> > > it etc.
> >
> > Unfortunately, this would mean that the GNOME version of AbiWord would
> > be able import those documents.  So while we would be very happy for
> > the added functionality, we would still want Abi native implementations
> > of those importers/exporters.  AbiWord plans to maintain its commitment
> > to cross-platform functionality.
> >

> I think that unless someone comes up with an xp way of doing component
> integration Real Soon Now, embedding of compoenents in Abi will be
> Gnome-only thing. This makes sense since no other platform is going to
> have anything like Gnome's array of components.

Doh!! I'm stupid. We should definately look at how we can support
components in an XP way. If we're clever we can make the Abiword on
Windows/Beos/QNX/Mac be a bonobo container for Bonobo-ized applications
served from Unix servers. That would be very cool and quite likely very
useful.

If we're even cleverer we could make Abiword a plugin for Mozzilla and
even Internet Explorer. Ah so many possibilities in a networked
world with a GPL'd XP Word Processor.

Cheers

Martin