Re: Bonobo - storage formats ...

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 07:26:22PM -0500, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >   Sounds really good. Assuming that API wise ABI get bonoboized, the next
> > step is to try to reach compatibility at the serialization level.
> >   Did you had a look at the suggested OpenOffice XML/Zip bazed format ?
>
>         This really should not be an issue addressed at the AbiWord
> level; this is something to be addressed by the OpenOffice / Bonob guys
> who write bonobo storage / stream backends. This can be done totaly
> transparently.
>
>         All AbiWord should do is implement Bonobo/PersistStream, and tell
> the world that it supports an XML content type ( and probably an
> application/x-word ). Then everything can be done by a Bonobo plug-in
> storage module to turn it into a flat xml document ( or whatever ), zip
> it etc.

Unfortunately, this would mean that the GNOME version of AbiWord would
be able import those documents.  So while we would be very happy for
the added functionality, we would still want Abi native implementations
of those importers/exporters.  AbiWord plans to maintain its commitment
to cross-platform functionality.

	sam th
	sam uchicago edu
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/