Re: What is GNOME office?

I'm leaving foundation-list out. I'm not on it, so I don't think I can
post to it. Oh, and I speak for *MYSELF*.

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Sam TH wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 02:51:42PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

[snip]

> First, I wonder about your phrasing there.  Are you suggesting that
> OO will become the GNOME office suite once it does those things? Is
> this set in stone?
>
> Second, I don't think that waiting until OO does all of those things
> is what Bart had in mind, in the email I was replying to.  Personally,
> I expect OpenOffice to have a ramp-up time at least comparable to
> that of Mozilla, that is, long.  And so GNOME is going to have to
> make decisions before all of that happens.  For example, Sun is
> going around telling anyone who will listen that the decision has
> been made, and that OpenOffice is the new GNOME office.  And I don't
> see anyone from GNOME challenging that view.  So GNOME, and probably
> the board, will have to decide what the composition of GNOME office
> will be, before everything you want to get done gets done.
>
> And as to those specific items, I know they plan to address 1 and 2,
> but the Sun developers I've corresponded with seem to view 3 as a
> feature. And as to 4, I'll believe it when I see it.

As for adressing 2, all I can say that it works for me and all the
porters. Where do you see a problem?

Do you perchance have code somebody refuses to commit to the CVS
repository?

How you view 3 depends on your point of view, I am afraid.
As I see it, the iffy point (timewise) is 1.

> 	sam th
> 	sam uchicago edu
> 	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
> 	GnuPG Key: