Re: [dev] GNOME Office and OpenOffice

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, sam th wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Klas Lindberg wrote:
>
> > Tjo!
> >

> > > In my ideal world, the single resulting project would include both the
> > > historical StarOffice team and the historical AbiWord team, and the
> > > best code from all of StarOffice and AbiWord and Gnumeric and Guppi
> > > and so on.
> >
> > Exactly my view. We should stay with our projects, make them -- or parts
> > of them -- good killers and then build consensus on what parts we want to
> > retain for a final GNOME Office suite.
>
> I hope it works that smoothly.
>

> > >  - let's use gnome-office-list gnome org for now to discuss these issues
> > >    and plan future direction.
> >
> > While I think this is necessary, we must not forget that most of us will
> > probably keep a specific project closest to heart. For me, that will imply
> > mostly reading openoffice.org lists and gnome-office-list less frequently.
> >  The gnome-office-list is obviously necessary to build consensus about the
> > final form of an office suite, since such discussion would be naturally
> > biased if it was held within the frames of one of the contending projects.
> >  As many of us will be short on time for reading several different
> > developement lists, it would be a real boon to everyone if some sort of
> > status report could be built weekly and put on a webpage. Such a report
> > would let everyone with an interest follow the status of the contending
> > projects so that I as an openoffice participant could get some easy
> > knowledge on how the abi team is doing and what the Gnome Office guys
> > think about both of our (and others') efforts.
> >

> Well, I write the AbiWord weekly news, a job at which I have been recently
> derelict, but there will be a new issue up today.
>
> As for communication, the post you replied to generated a number of
> enlightening posts on the gnome-office-list from AbiWord and GNOME people,
> but nothing at all (till now) from OpenOffice people.  I hope that some
> OpenOffice folks can look at those archives and think about and maybe even
> address some of the issues we raised.

Just so it is *perfectly* clear:
	a) most "OpenOffice people" live in GMT or GMT+1 and stop reading
	   mail at ~ 5 o'clock

	b) afaik it was a holiday in Germany so loads of "OO people" were
	   not reading the mail

	c) Some of us have been working in getting the next OO snapshot
	   released

	d) I would not call the number of responses on gnome-office-list a
	   number but rather a couple.

All other replies when I have a time to catch my breath and get out of the
12+ hopur days at work cycle.

	Sander

OpenOffice Release Engineering / Dublin