Re: GNOME Office list, and Sun/AbiWord

Joaquín Cuenca Abela <cuenca@celium.net> writes:
> If we use a gtk+ version with a good windows/MacOS/BeOS/QNX wrapper, and
> a set of themes with the look of the windows/BeOS/QNX/MacOS toolkit, our
> problems would be nearly over.

Exactly, if people sat down and worked on it GTK 2.0 could be made to
look as native as Qt does on Windows, with the default theme.

> P.S.: Anybody knows if there is a plan to port gnome (specially bonobo)
> to others platforms?  Miguel thinks that it's a "two hours work", but I
> would sleep better if somebody boots in a windows machine, sit down and
> port gnome to windows.

No one is working on it, but it could likely be done as part of the
GNOME 2.0 effort.

I think "two hours" is an exaggeration, but it probably isn't that
hard. Getting ORBit running is likely the only moderately hard thing.
Daemons such as oafd and gconfd may also require some thought, I don't
know how they would translate to Windows. Well, GConf has a
sufficiently abstracted API that you could use the same API and
implement it in an entirely different way on Windows.

> P.S.2: What to do with the non-GUI PD code (net code, etc.)?  Could we
> insert it in glib?

It would be nice to have a cross-platform networking library in the
GLib style. There's a GNet library available that looks pretty nice; I
don't know if it's cross platform. You might have a look at it though,
I think I read that it's similar to the Java network API.

Havoc