[gnome-network] Fine-grained network monitoring

Hey folks,

I've been doing quite a bit of network wrangling recently and I've been unhappy with the lack of accessible GUI tools capable of delving into network resource usage.  Sure there is wireshark, but it doesn't offer the real-time per-interface and per-process statistics I'm looking for.

I'd like to start a discussion about whether it might be a good idea to develop or extend a shared library that the gnome-system-monitor and gnome-nettool apps utilize.  I'd like to be able to get throughput metrics such as average bit rate with standard deviation for current, past minute, past 5 minutes, past 15 minutes.  It would be nice to be able to look up the statistics for a given interface, process, net+mask, port, etc.

Some libraries that might come in handy:

http://www.ntop.org/nProbe.html  - GPLv3
http://www.tcpdump.org/pcap.html - 3-clause BSD license
http://libnet.sourceforge.net/   - LGPLv2.1

Cheers,