Re: [gnome-network]gnome-sync

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 08:03, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Mar , 2004-03-02 at 03:28, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > > >
> > > The nautilus plug-in sounds like a good idea, but I am not sure how I
> > > would set it up.  What would you suggest?  A wizard-like interface?
> > > What would the application look like?
> > >
> > hmm, I think it could just be a dialog. When selecting the item from
> > Nautilus, you already have one directory (the selected one in Nautilus),
> > so just have to ask for the other directory to synchronize. I guess a
> > simple dialog could make it.
> >
> > > I was just planning on hacking a bit on the current application, but it
> > > looks like a shell without any backend.
> > >
> > it is just a work in progress never finished.
> >
> > > I would like to hack around on this project if anyone could come up with
> > > some nice interface ideas.
> > >
> > cool, if you like the nautilus plugin idea, then please work on that.
> >
> > Does anybody have any comments?
>
> We probably want to integrate this on a deeper level than a plug-in for
> nautilus. Perhaps this can be part of the greater scheme of "make
> multisync suck much much less" instead of "throw everything into the
> nautilus UI"? It seems like using multisync is the right thing to do in
> this case. It *is* supposed to be a sync framework. We should start
> moving to it, and cleaning it up at some point, so it can be the sync
> framework for GNOME. It would make it much easier for one to sync things
> like local rss feeds to their palm/wince/etc... device, or to a web
> site, or something else even.
>
> -- dobey

This is a bit off-subject, but do you know (off-hand) how multisync
handles ssh connections?  The reason I am asking is I am writing a
ssh-tunnel applet frontend and I am using my own code,
gnome-system-tools are using their own code, and I imagine anyone who
has to use ssh is rolling their own way to connect to the pty.

Back on topic - if anyone wants help with this show me the way.  Having
an easy-to-use sync system would be great for my company's (the company
I work for) future linux rollout.

Chris