Re: [gnome-network]Desktop/file sharing and a case for SLP

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 17:08 +0100, "Miguel A. Arévalo" wrote:
> Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> > I'm not saying the contrary. I am saying that a specific solution, even
> > if it uses those protocolos, but in different ports than the standard
> > ones, will just work with GNOME. We don't want that, so thus the need to
> > integrate in the existing networks, if any.
>
> This is only a problem with samba, but not with WebDAV as
> http://pepespc:6060/ is a correct URI.

of course it is, but how do you know in other clients what port it is
using? We have to use a specific port, which makes things work only in
the GNOME case, thus not integrating at all into existing networks.

> > well, I don't agree with that. How can a simple user share a directory
> > via NFS, or SMB?
>
> I havn't said anything about NFS (I don't like NFS except on
> server-to-server mounts) but any user can run a smbd daemon with his own
> configuration and port (changing the port is of course not compatible
> with any microsoft product, but they can still access it through a
> WebFolder with no problem). I still think that a
> smb://pepespc:7070/SHARE is not a bad idea for inter-gnome operation.

inter-gnome *ONLY* operation. What's the difference between this and the
personal web server, apart from the difference in protocol? If you use
your own SMB daemon on a custom port, your shares won't show up for
existing SMB users.

> >> OTOH using a systemwide
> >>apache/nfsd server for personal filesharing is a quite new/harmfull idea
> >>as the user has really no idea on how his system has this services
> >>configured. It seems to me a quick and dirty hack waiting for a
> >>permanent solution.
> >>

> > we are not using an apache server, we are using what is setup in the
> > system. So if you've got apache running, it will allow you to share
> > files via apache, if NFS, SMB or NCP are setup, it will allow you to
> > share via those. If none is available, then we can probably fall back to
> > using a personal web server.
>
> What I say is that relaying on a systemwide dependent filesharing would
> not be my choice for security on a network deployment.

and having a custom, gnome-only solution, that even needs a daemon to be
running is neither an option, integration-wise.

> > There is, i case you don't know, openslp, which is a GPL implementation
> > of SLP. It is GPL, thus incompatible with libgnetwork, which is LGPL.
>
> Well, neither SLP nor libslp are GPL but a MIT/X/BSD style license:
>
> http://www.openslp.org/license.html
>
> And yes it's from Caldera/SCO :-S
>
> I will take a look on it this week and try to come back with some proposal.

ok, great!

cheers