Re: [gnome-network]gnome-network organization

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 10:22 +0100, Álvaro Peña wrote:
> El jue, 15-01-2004 a las 01:51, Rodrigo Moya escribió:
> > First of all, it seems the current situation of an assorted set of tools
> > is a call for disaster as soon as we start growing and adding new tools.
> > So, one of the things that have been said is to split the different
> > tools into their own CVS modules, and have their own release schedules,
> > maintainers, etc.
>
> It's a great idea.
>
> > So, given these thoughts, I have thought about going ahead and:
> > * put the desktop-sharing tool in its own module (gnome-desktop-sharing)
>
> Perhaps could be interesting create a gnome-sharing tool, only a
> interface for configure and launch services like gnome-desktop-sharing,
> like the Apple's sharing tool works:
>
> http://blogs.esware.com/apg/shots/share-1.png
> http://blogs.esware.com/apg/shots/share-3.png

yes, definitely we want this. As we have talked many times, we need to
sit down and come up with a good plan for file sharing, since the
current PWS is just a temporary solution. It would be nice to have it
work like Apple's, although for that we'd need either:
* apache, ftpd, etc to create a directory where users can put links to
their shared directories
* give users the ability to configure the servers, via GNOME System
Tools probably.

> For the moment only with desktop sharing utility, but in the future with
> a web sharing tool or a file sharing tool.
>
> But only is a idea, what do you think?

oh, you mean to have all in the same module? It sounds ok to me,
provided we come first with that plan for file sharing :-) But yes, we
can have gnome-sharing CVS module containing the file and desktop
sharing tools.

cheers