[gnome-network] Re: gnome-network question [patch]

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 02:22, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> I think it might due because one reads the whole command after it, and
> the other needs some delimiter ("...") for the command if it's got
> spaces. Could that be the case?

Hi Rodrigo,

That indeed is the case. Gnome-terminal's -e switch accepts a single
arugment in contrasts with xterm's behavior of allowing multiple
arguments to be appended to a command.

Gnome-terminal's -x is compatible with xterm's -e switch and therefore
works as advertised. The -x switch is the one to look out for. I've test
this assumption with xterm, rxvt, and wterm.

You can find the patch that I worked on at
http://www.nishra.com/files/fixterminal.patch

The patch works on the assumption that if your terminal preferences in
GConf have gnome-terminal with the -e switch, then you will receive a
single command enclosed in delimiters (""):

gnome-terminal -e "ssh -p 22 -X user localhost"

otherwise if you have gnome-terminal with -x or xterm/rxvt/wterm with
-e, then you will receive a command and multiple arguments:

gnome-terminal -x ssh -p 22 -X user localhost

--
Emil Soleyman-Zomalan <emil nishra com>