[gnome-network]Re: gnome-network question

On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 08:38, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> Forwarding your mail to gnome-network-list.

Thank you Rodrigo. I'm not subscribed to the list just yet, please CC on
your replies.

> > I've been taking a look at fixing some bugs in the gnome-remote-shell
> > utility. I believe I've found a bug with the way the application opens a
> > ssh connection with gnome-terminal.
> >
> > The application does a lookup of terminal preferences in Gconf,
> > specifically the exec and exec_arg keys. For example, my desktop has
> > gnome-terminal and -x as the values of those keys. Gnome-remote-shell
> > uses those values to launch an ssh connection within gnome-terminal. It
> > seems that gnome-terminal creates a window and destroys itself in less
> > than a second. However, using the -e option does the right thing. Try
> > this to see the difference:
> >
> > gnome-terminal -x "ssh localhost"
> > gnome-terminal -e "ssh localhost"
> >
> as the help says:
>
>   -e, --command=STRING                            Execute the argument
> to this
>                                                   option inside the
> terminal.
>   -x, --execute                                   Execute the remainder
> of the
>                                                   command line inside
> the
>                                                   terminal.
>
> it seems there is a small difference between the 2 options. I wonder if
> you are maybe using the broken version we had in CVS for some weeks,
> which was building wrongly the command line. What version are you using?

I've checked out the man page for help in deciphering the difference
between -e and -x, but I haven't been able to figure out why -e works
correctly when launching an ssh connection while -x doesn't.

I'm using the latest CVS (1.99.1+) sources and it still shows the same
problem. I'm also using gnome-terminal 2.2.2-3 as packaged in Debian
Unstable.

> > I've been trying to figure out what the difference between -x and -e
> > options but can't figure out what it is. Could this be a bug in the way
> > gnome-terminal works or are gnome-remote-shell's defaults incorrect?
> >
> I'd vote it is the broken version bug. Please retry with 1.99.1, or with
> latest CVS.

I'll try to investigate some more. I'll post my findings back to the
list.

--
Emil Soleyman-Zomalan <emil nishra com>