Re: [gnome-network]Binary units

On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 04:13, Ross Golder wrote:
> On ศ., 2003-12-19 at 21:14, Carlos Morgado wrote:
> > > We should hope that you have better reasons than just that it is
> > > non-traditional.
> > >

> > a) KB is a stup invention created by ignorants.
>
> (stup == stupid??)

spelling is for suckers.

> Are the people that invented these units all those
> years ago really ignorants? Not really. In the last twenty years, I have
> not heard of any other measurement of data but bits, bytes, kilobytes,
> megabytes etc. The abbreviations for this, as used by every technical
> reference document I have ever read, use 'KB', 'MB' etc. It is
> traditional and historic, people that use these units actually _do_
> understand what they are actually saying and the people they are using
> them with actually understand too.

Sometimes traditions can be wrong.

I would say that to think 1024 equals 1000, then yes, it is somewhat
stupid and ignorant.  This is the same thing that pisses some people off
when they buy an 80 gig hard drive and its not actually 80 gigs.

> > b) there is a real standard alternative that everyone undertsands.
>
> Are you sure? I've never heard of or seen these units you speak of being
> used in a technical application. I have no idea what you are talking
> about when you are talking 'SI'. If my network monitor applet doesn't
> quote usage in bytes, I'd consider it unusable/broken.

Bytes are made from bits. Its like saying "I have 20 ten dollar bills."
instead of saying you have 200 dollars.