Re: [gnome-network]Binary units

On ศ., 2003-12-19 at 21:14, Carlos Morgado wrote:
> > We should hope that you have better reasons than just that it is
> > non-traditional.
> >

> a) KB is a stup invention created by ignorants.

(stup == stupid??) Are the people that invented these units all those
years ago really ignorants? Not really. In the last twenty years, I have
not heard of any other measurement of data but bits, bytes, kilobytes,
megabytes etc. The abbreviations for this, as used by every technical
reference document I have ever read, use 'KB', 'MB' etc. It is
traditional and historic, people that use these units actually _do_
understand what they are actually saying and the people they are using
them with actually understand too.

> b) there is a real standard alternative that everyone undertsands.

Are you sure? I've never heard of or seen these units you speak of being
used in a technical application. I have no idea what you are talking
about when you are talking 'SI'. If my network monitor applet doesn't
quote usage in bytes, I'd consider it unusable/broken.

> > Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
>
> Oh really ? My word.

That kind of attitude isn't going to help endear people to your
suggestions! You won't get very far taking personal digs at people just
because they don't agree with your point of view.

--
Ross