Re: [GNOME-my]JHbuild of Gnome 2.5 - march 15

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 19:37, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> A few days ago, I came across a review of gnome2.5(aka gnome 2.6) and wanted
> test it out for myself. I also went to the path of jhbuild.

It would've been easier to use garnome and the tarballs :)

> Background system
> RH9

Hmm, could be missing some devel stuff. Even standard Fedora Core 1
requires lots of stuff to be installed.

> I dl'ed jhbuild, make install, cp sample.jhbuild ~/.jhbuildrc ( initially
> i tried using jamesh.jhbuildrc and things were _okay_ I guess.

I used jamesh's file, and just changed the login info and so on.

> Then I chaged the install directory from /opt/gtk2 to /opt/gnome2.5 then to
> /opt/gnome26 (cause it didn't work... Dunno why. it wasn't cleaning
> out the sources..  tried make clean/make distclean.. but old references were
> still
> there.. ended up re-cvs-ing the whole Darn Tree!!)

That's the problem. If you're using /opt/gtk2 in your .jhbuildrc, and
you rename it to /opt/gnome2.5, you're asking for trouble.

> 1. In some areas. the translation files for turkish language was screwed up
>    It's garbage and not ACSII text as it should be. I just took another look
> at
>    the cvs repo, it's text. So.. EIther there _was_ a problem and it's just
> gone
>    now or.. I somehow screw up again..

You speak Turkish? ;)

> 2. Did anyone run the jhbuild bootstrap command? Anwered the default to all
> it's
>    questions?? I didn't do it.. Although there were a few items of problems.
> (eg
>     automake 1.6.3 and automake 1.8.2 which wasn't installed in my system by
>     default and since I'm using RH9, updated rpms for these are hard to come
> by)

I did. Newer versions of jhbuild (like what you would have used) would
check to make sure you're not missing stuff.

You can install automake manually, from gnu.org's ftp site. I do this
for Panther builds.

> 3. Right now.. gnome-terminal meta-gnome-core (what is this?), gtkhtml2
> (some
>    dependency prob), yelp, gedit gnomemeeting (due to PWLib not installed. I
> have
>    no idea what that is..) and meta-gnome-desktop.

Didn't compile?

> I'm logged into Gnome2.5 right now.. but thing are not working as well as
> they should.

Thats because your install looks borked.

> The spatial nautilus didn't really kick in till a seg fault/error(I can't
> rememeber,
> it defaulted to the org 2.4 interface) Not sure if I like it or otherwise..
> It keeps popping up directories after directories. (which is Good. but in
> some cases
> can get annoying) But still have the choice to use the older nautilus
> interface
> via - browse-folder

Seg fault? How so? Have you checked bugzilla.gnome.org under nautilus?

By popping up directories, and directories (when clicked), in different
windows, spatial mode is working.

> The Wallpaper/background app crashes whenever I press the 'filesystem'
> icon.. Since I
> would like to browse to a folder to add a new wallpaper. I'm not really sure
> why that
> is. Hmm.. seems like it's not only the wallpaper selector.. Even EOG fails
> to work .
> (funny thing is.. The one on the Desktop->Computer->filesystem works!!)

Did eog compile properly? When jhbuild runs, in an ideal system, it'll
never ask you questions and you'll compile about 88 apps, without *any*
issues. That means going away, drinking lots of coffee, and coming back
a few hours later to find GNOME 2.5 built in /opt/mygnomedir

> OKay... I've rant enough.. If anyone can offer any help.. I'm open to
> suggestions..

Your .jhbuildrc is probably in error. Don't rename /opt/gtk2 to
/opt/gnome25 after compilation.

My experience of building it:
http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2004/2/1/building-gnome-25

(this was right after l.c.a.2004, and jamesh implemented many
interesting changes later)
--
Colin Charles, byte aeon com my
http://www.bytebot.net/