Could we improve video rendering for totem/gtk (wayland)?

Hi experts:
    hardware accelerated video decoder becomes basic component in current device, and the video frame type is usually a dma_buf fd ( though the frame type varied in the past years).
    the dma_buf fd can be sent to compositor (weston for example), it can also bind to a texture for openGL rendering.

   however, when I looked into totem code, I found video rendering hasn't been well supported. totem still uses clutter-gst which is out of maintaince for several years. hardware accelerated video rendering is usually broken. (gst-vaapi used to be supported for rgbx frame, but disabled by default).
    so, I want to ask some questions: (let's consimer gtk+3 and wayland environments)

option 1: Is there gtkwidget which can connect waylandsink?
it means video frames can be directly sent to weston w/o compositiong inside app ( to avoid performance hit).

option 2: Is it possible to draw dma_buf fd as texture in gtk context?
I noticed that there is gtkglsink/glupload, however, I'm not sure whether they support wayland/weston; and I'm still not clear how they interact with gtk widget.

thanks.