video transcoder question

I’m new to this group and am looking for video transcoder.

A quick background:  I have a Linux based video recording server (recording video from camera on to hard drives) using M-Jpeg, MPEG4 and H.264 codec’s (camera dependent).

My need is to provide a remote user, communicating through a narrow bandwidth connection (DSL, Mobil, T1, etc…), the ability to view the recorded video transcoded from mega-quality to whatever bandwidth is available (setup can be done manually by the user of what BW is available does not need to be automatic).

Is there anything I can use to integrate into the recorder SW and the client SW to make this seamless to the user?

Thanks,

Shahar