[gst-devel] RELEASE: GStreamer Ugly Plug-ins 0.10.17 "Raised by Wolves"

This mail announces the release of GStreamer Ugly Plug-ins 0.10.17
"Raised by Wolves".

GStreamer Ugly Plug-ins is a set of plug-ins that have good quality and
correct functionality, but distributing them might pose problems. The
license on either the plug-ins or the supporting libraries might not be
how we'd like. The code might be widely known to present patent
problems.

Highlights of this release:

  * mad mp3 decoder: support for reverse playback
  * dvdreadsrc: fix handling of multi-angle streams
  * x264enc: work around rate control issue in old versions of x264

For more information, see
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/modules/gst-plugins-ugly.html

To file bugs, request features or submit patches, please go to
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer&component=gst-plugins-ugly

Direct links:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/src/gst-plugins-ugly/gst-plugins-ugly-0.10.17.tar.gz
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/src/gst-plugins-ugly/gst-plugins-ugly-0.10.17.tar.bz2

MD5 sums (for tarballs downloaded from gstreamer.freedesktop.org):
504ed6508c3a8f035a2002ed69d68506  gst-plugins-ugly-0.10.17.tar.bz2
7df1fb46ce2403426d98cc9db773a31a  gst-plugins-ugly-0.10.17.tar.gz

Enjoy!

Release notes for GStreamer Ugly Plug-ins 0.10.17 "Raised by Wolves"

The GStreamer team is proud to announce a new release
in the 0.10.x stable series of the
GStreamer Ugly Plug-ins.

The 0.10.x series is a stable series targeted at end users.

"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."

There are times when the world needs a color between black and white.
Quality code to match the good's, but two-timing, backstabbing and ready to
sell your freedom down the river.  These plug-ins might have a patent noose
around their neck, or a lock-up license, or any other problem that makes you
think twice about shipping them.

We don't call them ugly because we like them less.  Does a mother love her
son less because he's not as pretty as the other ones ? No  - she commends
him on his great personality.  These plug-ins are the life of the party.
And we'll still step in and set them straight if you report any unacceptable
behaviour - because there are two kinds of people in the world, my friend:
those with a rope around their neck and the people who do the cutting.

This module contains a set of plug-ins that have good quality and correct
functionality, but distributing them might pose problems.  The license
on either the plug-ins or the supporting libraries might not be how we'd
like. The code might be widely known to present patent problems.
Distributors should check if they want/can ship these plug-ins.

Other modules containing plug-ins are:

gst-plugins-base
contains a basic set of well-supported plug-ins
gst-plugins-good
contains a set of well-supported plug-ins under our preferred license
gst-plugins-bad
contains a set of less supported plug-ins that haven't passed the
    rigorous quality testing we expect

Features of this release

      * asfdemux: Handle new type of DRM'd asf files
      * dvdreadsrc: fix handling of multi-angle streams
      * dvdreadsrc: improve error messages on read errors
      * mad: if gst_pad_alloc_buffer() returns a buffer with the wrong size allocate a new one
      * mad: support reverse playback
      * mpeg2dec: convert the position to stream time before answering to a position query
      * mpeg2dec: fix position query by trusting upstream
      * mpeg2dec: refactor cropping code to use libgstvideo functions
      * mpeg2dec: use gst_pad_alloc_buffer() when cropping buffers
      * mpegparse: re-fix flow return handling
      * rmdemux: set GST_BUFFER_FLAG_DELTA_UNIT properly
      * x264enc: add a note to the docs about encoder latency and queues
      * x264enc: also accept YV12 input
      * x264enc: Handle codec/encoder tags
      * x264enc: Work around a rate control issue in libx264
      * x264: use pkg-config to locate libx264
      * x264: vbv-buf-capacity should have a minimum of 0
      * xingmux: Don't ignore WRONG_STATE and NOT_LINKED when pushing data downstream

Bugs fixed in this release

      * 539254 : [dvdreadsrc] DVDs with multiple angles switch angles during read
      * 571146 : mpeg2dec: possibly uses wrong strides for 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 YUV with unusual display width or height
      * 599515 : Fix dvb for DVB API 3.3
      * 621465 : [x264enc] Video codec information copied incorrectly to output
      * 632549 : [mpeg2dec] answers to position queries are wrong for DVDs
      * 632861 : [x264enc] really bad quality with tune=zerolatency
      * 634840 : x264: use pkg-config to locate dependencies for plugin
      * 635291 : x264enc: " vbv-buf-capacity " property should have minimum value of 0
      * 635461 : Crash in mad decoder when changing number of audio output channels in Totem while media is running
      * 636107 : x264enc: docs should indicate specifics of using with queues
      * 637093 : rmdemux: set GST_BUFFER_FLAG_DELTA_UNIT properly
      * 637932 : realmedia: do not use the pad buffer allocation functions in demuxers
      * 639226 : [asfdemux] Doesn't handle new PlayReady DRM files

Download

You can find source releases of gst-plugins-ugly in the download directory:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/src/gst-plugins-ugly/

GStreamer Homepage

More details can be found on the project's website:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/

Support and Bugs

We use GNOME's bugzilla for bug reports and feature requests:
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer

Developers

GStreamer is stored in Git, hosted at git.freedesktop.org, and can be cloned from there.
Interested developers of the core library, plug-ins, and applications should
subscribe to the gstreamer-devel list. If there is sufficient interest we
will create more lists as necessary.

Applications

Contributors to this release

      * Benjamin Gaignard