Re: question for the Arista/Transmageddon groups

On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 09:47 -0400, Daniel G. Taylor wrote:
> On 09/29/2010 12:01 AM, Jeff Cobb wrote:
> > Greetings; I have downloaded the source for Transmageddon but not looked
> > at it yet (multitasking heavily tonight on a deadline) but noticed that
> > Transmageddon and Arista are two overlapping projects, are open source
> > and at least one is written in Python. I also read on part of the
> > Transmageddon site that one of the intended directions will be to rip
> > DVDs in addition to the existing file imports. Also I saw something
> > about how they shared lots of source with Arista and that they are
> > pushing a profile download service (as opposed to having phone-book
> > sized transcoding profile libraries). Now all of that would seem to have
> > a certain amount of overlap with my open-source project which is more
> > narrowly-defined but if people were interested enough there is a key
> > portion of my project that I could rewrite to be shared with these two
> > projects.  If no one wants it or shows interest I will be on my way but
> > I think this is an area we could help each other. In short, my app
> > started life as a wrapper/abstraction layer for different rip engines
> > (ogmrip, HandBrake, mencoder, etc) and while it does do this well
> > enough, the part you might be interested in the track lookup service I
> > built. What this does is look at a DVD when inserted, uses libdvdread to
> > create an MD5 hash on the disc, sends a request to my back-end server in
> > XML-RPC and if found, will feed the right information to the ripper to
> > properly name the tracks. Yes, it is a lot like CDDB only it covers more
> > metadata about DVDs/tracks like track type (such as movie, show (like an
> > hour TV show), cartoon/animated (same thing only about Simpsons-size) or
> > extra feature. The ripper portion of my system then uses this
> > information to provide custom rip information so (for example) the main
> > feature of a disc can be automatically ripped with a different profile
> > than say the extra features on that disc (or the special features can be
> > omitted entirely) or animation or anime can be ripped with different
> > quality settings than a movie. You get the idea. The part of all this
> > that might appeal to these two projects (and I would be delighted to
> > help out on) is the python plugin code to do the hash and track lookup.
> > There are associated records for things like reviews, IMDB or other
> > internet site references as well but these are not used all that much.
> > This plugin/python code comes in really handy under two key situations:
> > 1. You hit what I call the '99 track' trick. Seen more recently, the
> > main feature or several real episodes are nested within 95 or so fake
> > tracks which invariably wind up being the correct track with the
> > chapters shuffled (take the latest CG Tinkerbell flick for example).
> > Simply knowing which tracks are "real" can be of immense help
> > 2. Ripping TV show discs. Depending on episode-length, there might be
> > 3-9 episodes per disc. Under the existing methods of ripping sometimes
> [...]

See also:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/discident-glib

Which uses discident.com (RipIt)'s database for guessing DVD titles. I'd
be happy to add support for using another database if the service is
freely available for commercial use.

Waiting on Jeff's comment about this.

Cheers