Re: libdvdcss question

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 01:26 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 17:41 -0700, Jeff Cobb wrote:
> >
> > Any ideas folks? I mean, the path I described will work but it may
> > wind
> > up being the more labor-intensive one not to mention a potential
> > maintenance nightmare. Thus if someone has done this before and can
> > throw a few crumbs this way, let me know, I would appreciate it. Also,
> > given the nature of the projects, maybe they have already fiddled with
> > this stuff and gotten a head-start.
>
> Don't use your own home-made DVD hashing mechanism and use something
> that's already (at least somewhat) proven and available.

No arguments there. I had no intention of implementing the hash myself;
I was simply looking for something that was more cross platform (as the
projects describe it) than libdvdread. However as I think we figured
out, first shot at cross-platform more or less equates in actuality to
any platform libdvdread runs on. That means for the cost of a Python
bridging function we/I get both the hash and DVD CSS.  <silly grin>. The
best part? The hash in libdvdread is several orders of magnitude faster
than even the md5sum that comes with Linux (which BTW comes up with the
same answer as a Python source-only module that does the same thing and
does it in the same amount of time).

So for now, with the exception of writing a thin Python->C module, this
is a solved problem. I did not mean to mislead on this. Sometimes I
forget who I am replying to....