various EsounD-related questions

Hi all,

I have a few questions about esound as I'm one of Gnome maintainers for Gentoo (esound being our responsibility).

1) What's the status on esound being deprectated in Gnome? Does anyone have a global view of which pieces need to be ported to gstreamer (or anything else)?

Right now, we've been trying to make sure esound stays an optional dependency but we're not really sure if we're cutting features out in the process. So far, no one has complained to us... ;)

I know that pretty much everyone in the Gentoo Gnome Herd wants esound out and we could probably help out wherever needed, given a comprehensive list of things to hack on.

2) While I understand that my first point is a long(er) term goal, we've been having several issues with esound itself. We currently have to apply 5 patches on top of esound 0.2.38 to be able to build it.

It'd be great if those patches were applied in svn and a new tarball released.

http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/gentoo-x86/media-sound/esound/files/esound-0.2.32-amd64.patch
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/gentoo-x86/media-sound/esound/files/esound-0.2.36-mode_t.patch
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/gentoo-x86/media-sound/esound/files/esound-0.2.38-as-needed.patch

Those first 3 fix build issues and can be applied as is.

http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/gentoo-x86/media-sound/esound/files/esound-0.2.38-doc.patch

That one fixes an autoreconf issue because "htmldir" is already defined by recent autoconf.

http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/gentoo-x86/media-sound/esound/files/esound-0.2.38-libtool-2.2.patch

And finally that one is needed because libtool-2.2 removed the implicit checks on C++. Although esd does not use C++ directly, the arts macro does try to build something in C++. I didn't look much further into it but the macros could probably be simplified a bit. This patch only fixes the aclocal error by explicitly asking for the C++ check (this is backwards compatible with libtool 1.5 of course).

Thanks for any help with those 2 points.

Cheers

--
Rémi Cardona
LRI, INRIA