Re: Volume widget comments

On Qui, 2007-03-08 at 15:34 -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Please read and understand #163313, it'll make some things clear.

I've read it. These are your only points there:

> Comment #27 from Ronald Bultje  (developer, points: 21)
> I dislike the slider for various reasons:
> * it's large compared to other parts of the interface, especially given its
> function (imo, important parts should be large and unimportant parts small)

So you think a volume widget is less important than the
play/forward/backward buttons? I recommend you to look at some physical
stereos and their remote controls. I'd say it's at least as important
and you should have an imediate notion about the sound "quantity" just
by glancing at the interface and this is much better achieved with a
simple scale like the one I proposed.

As for that bug's main point which was about interface space being
wasted I don't think totem has really become better with the
introduction of the button widget[1]. I see a lot of space there where a
scale widget could be introduced (actually I liked totem more when it
was like that although the implementation wasn't as refined as the one I
mocked up).

> * other GNOME apps use a button + icon (e.g. RB, panel-volume-applet)

This is not an argument. What if said apps all used a scale? I obviously
think all them (RB, Banshee, Totem, etc) should use a scale since they
have plenty of wasted space anyway. *Except* for the panel-volume-applet
since the panel has different constraints like people wanting to stuff
there too many icons... Actually if there was the option I'd actually
use a (short) horizontal scale there myself as I don't like having many
icons and tools on my panel, only the essential, conveying the important
status information in a visually "fast to parse" way.

> Given this list, I'd still prefer the button, though... I like the behaviour,
> but that's probably partly because I coded it. ;).

Yhea, sure. And it shows... Well, this is free software, a meritocracy.
You wrote it, so your vote counts and mine doesn't. We can still discuss
the status quo I think.

Rui

[1] http://www.thecybersource.com/images/screenshots/totem.jpg