Re: Call for a Gnome Media Center

Well I am not sure how 'huge' this effort needs to be as we have a lot
of these places implicitly in place already. Everything uses GStreamer
which means a shared library and a lot of shared code already. A recent
example here is that I know both Rhythmbox and Exaile hackers are
working on adding Equalizer support, both helping out with and using a
new Equalizer plugin recently added to gst-plugins-bad CVS.

On top of that there is a lot of direct code sharing between the
projects, like Rhythmbox (and I think others) using Totems playlist
parser library as one example.

For UI conventions most of these apps tries hard to follow the GNOME UI
guidelines, but as I mentioned before I am not sure this is relevant for
Elisa as Elisa is a GUI targeted at use with a remote control, not a
mouse and keyboard, which makes 'desktop' UI conventions a bit off.

As for a shared database this might be a good idea, but I will leave
that up to application writers to decide, for me a good start would be
that all Music applications for instance tried hard to get people to
save their Music under $HOME/Music for instance. That way when you start
another Music application or Elisa you don't need to specify which
directory to look for Music inn. Similar conventions would be good for
pictures and movies and album/dvd cover art.

Christian