Re: Replacing esd with gstreamer

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 11:46 +0200, Andy Wingo wrote:

> I could be wrong, but I don't think ESD can be replaced without writing
> a daemon. I think you could probably get away with requiring
> multiple-open on the hardware to start up the daemon, so that you
> wouldn't need to write a sound server -- apps would just write to the
> sound card, using the normal API, relying on the system to mix them --
> but a daemon it should be.

To throw in a random user perspective, it would be nice if any
replacement daemon were somewhat less hardwired into the system than ESD
is, for the benefit of those of us who have intentionally silent desktop
environments (I like my music player app to make sounds, and just about
nothing else...)
--
adamw