Re: replacing esd with gstreamer

You raise the appropriate concerns, as usual. May I just add that
queuing sounds may be appropriate to some disability use cases, though
probably not for most blind users who will instead require simultaneous
play? In fact, I'm not clear what the use case for queuing is, though
I'm willing to accept that more than one probably exist.

Another strong concern is that the GUI desktop layer is far too late in
the process for managing multiple sound streams. Whether or not it
should be kernel linked or can exist in user space may still be in
contention among various accessibility user groups, but I expect that
waiting for the desktop will be seen as unacceptably late in the
process.

So, if gstreamer is just another way to interface to low level audio
management, that would prove helpful. But, if it competes with lower
level management--like alsa dmix, or jack--there will be dissension, I'm
sure. Ultimately, we must find a solution that Gnome, KDE, and console
apps can all live with, or we will have no solution at all.