open letter / first sound file submission

hello everybody,

unfortunately there was no time for me to follow the discussions going on at
gnome-multimedia after my recent (and first) post to the list. sorry for
that, but now i'm back again and gladly able to take part.
i read replies and any posts, including those of elliot lee, which were
interesting and informative, too (followed the uri to star wars and marvel
at the stories of its sound designer, too).

it's certainly a good thing starting to compose sound samples on your own,
but we also need further discussion here (which was good until now - don't
misunderstand me, please). after listening to demos of all who sketched out
one or two already rough decision about style, mood, lenght and tempo could
be made.

according to these mailing-list- or even community-decisions we can compose
things that will fit to the need of the common gnome desktop user and
therefore provide a feeling of comfortable using. later on, we can possibly
involve much more people (outside this mailing list) to pick out (perhaps
via poll at the gnome.org site or elsewhere) the final ones who will make
their way into the standard sound theme of the next desktop's release.

in this context a list of needed samples and their lenght or importance may
be useful. an uri from which we can get the old gnome sounds might also be
useful, just to get an practical impression of that.

anyone who wants to listen to a basic start-up (or log-off) sound i
synthesized may do it here (ogg-vorbis-format):
http://www.typorism.com/gnome/startup.ogg
it's just a demonstration what dimensions of complexity i expect from such a
sound sample. if you're interested in technical details: done with cubase
featuring absynth and a1 synthesizers.

regards,
andreas