Re: any sounds needed?

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> > > I personally would like to see gnome-audio totally re-created, some of
> > > the sounds in there are so harsh on the ears.  We need subtle sounds
> > > with depth and warmth which say "welcome" and "don't worry", not "WHAT
> > > DO YOU WANT" and "ARGH".

The existing sound set is not that great - startup/shutdown are silly and
some of the sounds can be irritating - but going with musical chimes or
anything "cute" is probably not going to appeal to most people.

Cute/musical sounds fall into the same category as Clippy - amusing but
not very useful. How can we come up with a decision process that selects
sounds that aren't obnoxious, that serve as useful cues, and that the
majority of people will want to leave enabled on their desktop?

> What do people think about
> http://thomas.apestaart.org/download/tmp/startup.wav
> http://thomas.apestaart.org/download/tmp/shutdown.wav

These are amusing. :)