Re: future of nautilus-media? (or maybe just build-hosage?)

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 23:16 +0100, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 23:56, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > The overlapping bits are:
> > - video thumbnailer
> > - nautilus properties page (nautilus-media only handles audio though)
> > Ronald and Thomas would know better about the details on how well those
> > work with GStreamer.
>
> I only know the ones in Totem. The video thumbnailer works, has good
> support, but is somewhat slow (imo; didn't compare it to the Xine one).
> The same basically goes for the properties page. Both work well, though,
> they load pretty much all media files, generate good thumbnails and load
> all metadata (well, except bitrate...).
>
> Thomas can probably tell more on the nautilus-media one. I know the
> properties page works  (for Ogg/mp3), because I have that installed. I
> didn't compare speed between the two yet. I don't know how well the
> thumbnailer works.

The main problem with nautilus-media is that I don't have a clear idea
of where Nautilus is heading.  Alex and Dave gave me a quick runthrough
but they had just as many questions as I had about how it would work in
the non-bonobo-nautilus-world.  There was a wis

For my part this is quite demotivating :) Maybe they have thought about
it some more, or somebody else knows what would be a good future
approach for the audio view ?

As for other stuff in there, I wanted to write some bits in python,
because I envisioned n-m as a collection of nice little extensions to
nautilus, like "convert to (audio profile)" extensions and stuff like
that.  The property pages were part of that.  I should compare with the
ones that are now in totem - at the time when I did nautilus-media,
totem didn't have these.

Thomas

Are you happy where you're sleeping ?
Does he keep you safe and warm ?