Re: Comment on your latest article on GNOME-3.0

Dear Eugenia,

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 07:20, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> > in your latest article on osnews.com, you mention that GNOME should switch
> > to ALSA fully. Your example is that GNOME Volume Control tells you to
> > create your OSS device nodes. This means you're still running GNOME 2.4,
> > because GNOME 2.6 is almost completely ALSA compatible. The mixer, for
> > example, will tell you that you don't have any GStreamer sound mixer
> > plugins installed if it cannot find them. If it can, it will show ALSA and
> > OSS mixers. Your error notice does not exist in GNOME-2.6.
>
> It seems that it still does. I do have a clean installation of Gnome 2.6.0
> on Arch Linux (as provided by Arch Linux). No previous versions of Gnome
> existed on that installation of Arch. I went directly for Gnome 2.6 when I
> installed Arch a few weeks ago.
>
> I can't remember the exact error now because I have since then enabled OSS,
> but before doing so, the gnome-volume was always "muted" (with the red
> circle around the icon) and trying to click the gnome-volume icon on the
> gnome-panel would result to the alert window with the error message about
> some /dev/ device not exist.

Ah, so it's not GNOME Volume Control (as I understood from the
document), but it's the panel applet! That one can use GStreamer, but
can still be compiled without GStreamer support. That probably happened.

I'll look into fixing that. I don't know all details here,
unfortunately, since Jon Trowbridge ported that application. Thanks for
the hint!

Ronald