Re: First release of MAS available

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 13:49, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On 24 Jan 2003, iain wrote:
>
> > fre, 2003-01-24 kl. 13:09 skrev Elliot Lee:
> >
> > > What reasons do you see making important to use gstreamer from all gnome
> > > apps to generate the sound events?
> >
> > Because the whole linux world is never going to standardise on one sound
> > server, just like we can't standardise on one toolkit.
>
> If that's your reason for going with gstreamer, you can't keep sticking
> your head in the sand and adding more and more layers to handle every
> possible disagreement. Make a sound server choice, stick with it, and cope
> with the fact that some people might disagree. Supporting all the choices
> doesn't bring consensus any closer.
>
> (This is in the context of Gnome-in-general apps, not gstreamer, where
> special use cases occur that indeed might need to be handled by different
> sound servers.)
>
> > I don't need a sound server, my sound card can do everything I need by
> > itself.
>
> The only thing Gnome-in-general needs the sound server for is sound
> events. You need sound samples for sound events. Your sound card can't do
> that. The sound server does it best.
>
> > As for the "missing features", yes, we come to the lowest common
> > denominator, but just like with gtk you used (still are) able to get the
> > XWindow from a GdkWindow and do things at a more low level you can do
> > them with GStreamer as well.
>
> Yes, but if libgnome* just uses gstreamer to get to the point where it can
> talk to the sound server API directly, there is really no point in using
> gstreamer at all, because the direct dependency on the sound server API
> will exist anyways.

So, if I understand well, in libgnome we would have the same simple API
we have, with MAS as the direct backend (probably with audiofile as the
plugins). And for the multimedia applications, we'd have a MAS output
through Gstreamer.

If I read that well, I will have to agree with Elliott.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault