Re: Ideas and graph

> On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 19:28, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > Oooh, man, stuff like shuffle, repeat, CDDB editing. Dude, that's like,
> > way off the stuff I want to see in Totem.
> >
> > We still need a CD player that only does CDs. Everybody expects it. They
> > probably don't want to run something heavier, like RB, just to play a
> > CD.
>
> I'm not sure they do expect it.
> What they expect is a "media player"
> That does any "media" that they fire at it.
> Whether that is CDs, mpegs, or wavs.

This sort of issue was the topic of the workshop I lead in Boston.  I
should collect my results from that and let you all know what people
thought there.

My goal was to come up with a set of features one could want, which might
not be all that compatible.  Then a few proposals could be made out of
that, and it could be put on e.g. gnomedesktop for wider review by users.

The big point you're touching here, iain, is that there are mainly two
schools of thought here :

a) have a media player that plays everything

or

b) have a separate app for each sort of media

This is not as easy as it looks; I'd love to have a) in a sensible,
UI-intuitive way, and I have some ideas to make that work (I should finish
the glade code I have for it), but there are lots of "media" types to
consider here (audio CD, SVCD, DVD, tv/in, radio/in, streaming radio,
music files, streaming video, on-disk video, ...) so it's definately not
easy making an app that handles all of these well.

Maybe the ideas from that workshop can be explored a bit further on this
list, is that something we want to do here ?

Cheers,
THomas

nobody's interested
in something you didn't do