Re: Cd Burning

Hi,

> > Riight. You can write a bonobo component with a library, you can't
> > (decently) write a library from a bonobo component. After you've written
> > the library, how much glue you fancy is up to you.
>
> This depends.  Writing a library designed for a simple burning interface
> in an application isn't going to get one very far given the above goals,
> at all.  If you just want a library, use libcdrecord.  Designing the
> code form the ground up to serve/queue multiple requests, in an
> out-of-process fashion from the application, saves time, versus writing
> it once as a library than again as a service, especially given how 90%
> of the code is going to be the glue itself - why write a library to
> handle CD burning, then a service to interface to this library, which
> increases code size and dependencies, versus just writing the service
> and be done with it?

I originally asked the question (why use bonobo) because I honestly didn't
know ;) it's good to see a few people knowing enough about it comment,
because right now I understand why you guys would want to do this with
bonobo.  It also seems that a lib that hides away the complexity of bonobo
might be a good thing.

> > > Granted, I'm not in any way familiar with the intricacies of this stuff,
> > > so maybe I'm just babbling out my arse again... ~,^
> >
> > OK. Wish death upon us next time, that will be safer. Bonobo is a nice
> > technology, but if you're not the one writing the code, it's not up to
> > you in any way.
>
> Woah.  Sorry, I forgot that the GNOME lists are closed to suggestions,
> comments, ideas, and discussion, and that only experience core GNOME
> hackers are allowed to be subscribed.  I know this message has been a
> considerable inconvenience to you, and I'm sorry for wasting your
> precious, unreplacable time and the massive amount of bandwidth/storage
> this e-mail has consumed.

Yes! a real flamewar ! Christian, I would say that your reestablishment of
this mailing list has been an official success.  Congrats !

Thomas

Baby I can't fake it
I'd like to see you naked
<-*- thomas apestaart org -*->