Re: Monkeymedia, Gnome, Gstreamer

On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 19:55, George Farris wrote:
> Sorry to ask this but I'm not sure what the relationship is between
> Monkeymedia and Gstreamer.  It seems that gstreamer provides an API into
> multimedia audio and video.  Monkeymedia seems to provide another API
> into audio.  Why is it necessary?  I seem to be missing something here.

GStreamer has (deliberatly) a very lowlevel API, there is, for example,
no such thing as gst_play_file(const char *filename). Focus in GStreamer
is on building complex pipelines, monitoring it at runtime, shutting
down parts of the pipeline, inserting effects.. (the typical stuff for
mixing tables, NLEs etc..) This requires a much finer API then your
simple _play_file API.

MonkeyMedia provides a set of convenience functions for file playback
and mixing, built on top of gstreamer.

Another convenience wrapper can be found in the gstreamer CVS, in the
gst-player module, which probably comes as close as possible to your
regular _play_uri API.

> Is there a diagram of the currently proposed Gnome media framework
> somewhere on the web?

We should do one..

Wim