Re: Gnome multimedia plan

<quote who="Jorn Baayen">

> Hmm. I think it's a bad idea, because:
> - Rhythmbox is collection-oriented, not directory or file-oriented, so
> this would be a mix of concepts.

True...

> - The UI would be horribly cluttered, someone already sent me a mockup:
>   http://people.nl.linux.org/~jorn/Files/nautilus-rhythmbox-view.jpg
>   Note the two toolbars.. :)

Heh, that'd be due to the mockup-maker's crack intake, rather than what
would be done in reality. :-)

> As for the whole music view business, I'm not sure it's really a good
> idea.. why swallow whole a music player into a file manager?
> I mean, preview and single file stuff is cool, but a full fledged thing
> .. that's what apps are for. IMHO file managent and advanced music
> playback don't really mix :)

I actually agree about this. However, sometimes I think collections of files
(files in directories are still collections) could be displayed more
optimally than icon-with-label. I dislike the current music view, as it's
far too different to the icon and list views.

Would love to come up with an interesting design for these kinds of things,
but in the end, I have similar feelings towards views as you do.

Perhaps more subtle integration, in the way of toolbar buttons for adding to
collection, getting cddb info, etc. Dunno, will think about it.

- Jeff

--
                    "Whatcha wanna be when you grow up?"
                            "Eight and a half."