Re: gnome 2.2 and gstreamer

Hi,

> > GStreamer is not a sound server.
> > If your soundcard does hardware mixing, or you use a sound server then
> > you'll have no problems playing sounds at the same time, otherwise, even
> > if they all use GStreamer you'll only be able to play one thing at a
> > time.
>
> humm - i still don't get this whole thing. if gstreamer doesn't server
> as a sound daemon, does this mean gnome will continue to use esd for
> this?

Nothing of this sort has been either proposed or decided, so I think by
default gnome will continue using esd ;)

No one has started or even attempted to list the "problems" with esd, and
what to do about them, and there are some audio servers in the making that
might or might not possibly replace esd, but up to now nobody has given
the point much consideration beyond "why are we still using esd".

Thomas

"Two million women and only one Flasheart..."
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->