Re: grecord problems

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Erik Jarvi wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 04:47:58PM +0000, Darragh O'brien wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can anyone confirm these problems with grecord on platforms
> > other than Solaris:
>
> I'm running Redhat 7.0 with helixcode GNOME on an old IBM 760EL 166MHz laptop.
>
> > * There is a significant delay between pressing play and
> >   hearing anything.
>
> Seems like my helixcode version is broke under GNOME (while esd is running)
> but plays fine albeit a slight delay ~500ms if not running GNOME.
> I think there a difference how long the delay is depending on file size.
> (But I don't have any large audio files on this computer.)

I have tried grecord a few times (on three different RH6.2/Helix GNOME
i386 machines) but I could never get it to really work for me.  While
running GNOME as a user, it won't do anything useful. If I use a non-GNOME
desktop (or presumably if I just turn esd off) *and* log in as root, then
I can get it to partially work, but very unreliably.

Do other people have this problem?  Does it actually work for anybody?

If it is really this broken for other people then we need to either have
somebody fix it or remove it from gnome-media.  It really should play
nicely with esd which it seems not to.

Does anybody know the author and/or if the app is being maintained at all?

Dan