Re: grecord problems

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 04:47:58PM +0000, Darragh O'brien wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone confirm these problems with grecord on platforms
> other than Solaris:

I'm running Redhat 7.0 with helixcode GNOME on an old IBM 760EL 166MHz laptop.

> * There is a significant delay between pressing play and
>   hearing anything.

Seems like my helixcode version is broke under GNOME (while esd is running)
but plays fine albeit a slight delay ~500ms if not running GNOME.
I think there a difference how long the delay is depending on file size.
(But I don't have any large audio files on this computer.)

> * Overall sound quality is quite low (due to esound's
>   rudimentary sampling frequency convertor)

Umm, no comment. :) My computer doesn't have the best sound card, but I'm
biased being an audio engineer.

> * Certain formats are not supported e.g. .aif and alaw
>   (due to libaudiofile deficiences)

Yep aif's don't play.

Audio File Library: error 112: failed to parse COMM chunk
Then sometimes a crash.

Erik
--
All music aspires to the condition of muzak.