libesd.so: undefined reference to __inet_aton

I am having a problem compiling esound on my linux system. I have
successfully built and installed the audiofile library, but when I try to
make esound I get the following error:

make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/download/gnome/esound-0.2.22'
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2  -o esd  esd.o clients.o filter.o
mix.o players.o proto.o
samples.o   -L/usr/gnome/lib -laudiofile -lm libesd.la -lm
gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/esd esd.o clients.o filter.o mix.o players.o proto.o
samples.o -L/usr/gnome/lib
-laudiofile -lm
.libs/libesd.so -laudiofile -lm -lm -lm -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/gnome/lib
.libs/libesd.so: undefined reference to `__inet_aton'

I am installing the gnome libraries and binaries under /usr/gnome. I've
adjusted /etc/ld.so.conf to reflect the existence of /usr/gnome/lib, run
ldconfig and rebooted my system. I've also configured my bashrc startup
script so that /usr/gnome/bin is in PATH.

I've rebuilt audiofile from ./configure on up and checked all the output for
problems, but haven't found any.

Does anyone know how to fix the problem I'm running into? Thanx!

- Mark
mark arcabama com