[gnome-love] Need code example for selecting items from map

I'm in need of an example of how to select regions from a graphical map/image.  For instance, a map of the U.S.:  I'd use the mouse to select a few states (the maps would change colors to show they are selected) and then click a button that will send the names of each state selected to a function to be processed.

I'm not a very experienced programmer but I can use python, pygtk, glade, C, libSDL .. so any pointers to an example would help.