[gnome-love] Working of the ev_sidebar_layers_create_loading_model function in evince

Hi,
I'm trying to understand the code of the ev-sidebar-layers.c file in the evince/shell folder and I don't completely understand the working of the ev_sidebar_layers_create_loading_model( ) function.I understand that the function is making a tree and specifying the types of elements in it but I don't understand the later part. Could someone explain the functionality?
Thanks for the help :)

Regards,
Eejya